Card

Card
Good pubs, Good Beer, Good People

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

How does your Heinie Groh?

Admittedly, I'm no devotee of Coors Beer, and I confess I rarely follow professional baseball these days, but thanks to a friend named Greg Caggiano, I became an owner of some pretty neat memorabilia today. It's that bottle in the shape of a Louisville Slugger in the pictures to the right of this blog. I was impressed by the detail of the wood-grain look, and even the number 18 on the bottle cap. In my youth, I recall that all the Louisville Sluggers I ever got my hands on had the bat size stamped on the bottom. This bottle bat has the number of ounces in the bottle in that hallowed spot.

Of course, back in the day, all bats were made out of wood and cost about $6. Today, they're made of space age metal, can rocket a ball at you faster than a bullet from a .357 Magnum and cost as much as a ticket to a Yankee game.

I don't know how much a collectors' item like this is worth, nor do I care. There was no beer in the bottle (which may have actually increased its value to me). Still, it's neat to have. Maybe the Mets should come up with something like this to keep their fans happy. They might be happier if Heinie Groh was on the team, though. Click the link below for the interesting story.

Cheers!

The PubScout

 

Bottle Bats & Bat Bottles

No comments: